Date: Jun 9, 2015
Speaker(s): Ann Eshenaur Spolarich RDH, PhD, Angelo Mariotti DDS, JoAnn Gurenlian RDH, PhD
Despite advances in dentistry and dental hygiene, the majority of Americans do not have optimal periodontal health.
Half of adults in the US aged 30 and older have periodontal disease (64.7 million). This presentation will review a patient-centered approach to oral-health education and encourage dental professionals to reconsider the clinical relevance of gingivitis.
The principles of evidence-based dentistry will be reviewed and examples of how to use the evidence to guide clinical decision-making will be shared. These examples will include a comprehensive analysis of the science behind Colgate Total® toothpaste with emphasis on the recent Cochrane review of Triclosan/copolymer technology, along with recent developments in implant maintenance.
A discussion of the role of regulatory bodies in the US will help dental professionals evaluate optimal recommendations for their patients’ home care.
Participants will learn:
- The prevalence of periodontal disease in the United States
- How gingivitis is classified, and optimal strategies for management
- The principles of evidence-based dentistry
- How this evidence should guide patient management
- The science behind Colgate Total® toothpaste
- The principles of implant maintenance
- How the FDA regulates oral-care products
For more free dental continuing education, visit www.colgateoralhealthnetwork.com
New Perspectives on Evidence-Based Dentistry is co-sponsored by Tribune Group GmbH. Tribune Group GmbH is a recognized ADA CERP and AGD PACE provider.